Two of the top teams in the Big 12 square off in Waco, Texas, where No. 19 Baylor hopes to gain a game in the standings against 11-time defending regular-season champion Kansas, ranked No. 2 in the nation. The first-place Jayhawks (11-3) are up two games on second-place West Virginia (10-5) and third-place Oklahoma (9-5) and Baylor (9-5).
In case you missed it, some really interesting Baylor numbers to track tonight vs. Kansas:
- Baylor is 20-0 this season when it has taken the lead at any point in the 2nd half of a game
- Baylor is 14-0 this season when winning the turnover battle, and 13-1 when getting more points off turnovers
- Baylor is 6-0 this season in games decided by 5 or fewer points or in overtime
- Baylor is 20-2 this season when shooting 40% or better from the field and 0-5 when shooting less than 40%
And here are Baylor’s strengths. The Bears rank in the top 15 in the nation in:
- Assists per game (2nd, 19.1 apg; behind only Michigan State’s 20.7)
- Offensive rebound percentage (4th, 40.3%)
- Steal percentage (8th, 12%)
- Rebound margin (13th, +8.4 rpg)
- Assist-to-turnover ratio (15th, 1.52)
It looks like Bill Self has settled on a starting 5 of Frank Mason, Devonté Graham, Wayne Selden, Perry Ellis and Landen Lucas. KU is 8-1 in its last 9 games with that group getting things started.
Here are the records for KU’s other starting 5’s this season:
- Mason, Graham, Selden, Ellis and Hunter Mickelson: 8-1
- Mason, Graham, Selden, Ellis and Jamari Traylor: 6-1
- Mason, Greene, Selden, Eliis and Mickelson: 1-0
- Mason, Graham, Selden, Ellis and Diallo: 0-1
In each of its last 6 games, Kansas has out-scored its opponent in points off turnovers. If the Jayhawks can continue that tonight at Baylor, it will really help their chances of getting a road win — something that never comes easily in the Big 12.
KU won points off turnovers by the following margins:
- 30-14 vs. K-State
-15-7 at TCU
- 14-13 vs. West Virginia
- 12-8 at Oklahoma
- 14-7 vs. Oklahoma State
-19-7 at K-State
Your friendly reminder of the Big 12 standings entering Tuesday night’s action:
West Virginia 10-5
Oklahoma 9-5 / Baylor 9-5
Iowa State 8-7
Texas Tech 7-7
Oklahoma State 3-11
Here's a random stat — and one you can't really give any merit to: Kansas is 5-3 on Tuesdays this season. Now you know. And we can all move on with our lives.
Tip-off from Waco will be at 7:05 p.m. central.
Looks like Motley will start again for Baylor. Rico Gathers has been sick of late.
Throwbacks vs. neon in Waco tonight. I'll bet you can guess which team is wearing which uniforms.
Motley posts up Lucas in the paint and works for a bucket. Motley far more athletic than Lucas. Will be a matchup to keep your eyes on.
2 offensive rebounds for Lucas on KU's first possession, 2 missed shots.
Scott Drew with an early technical foul.
Mason hits 1 FT after Drew's T.